Social media changes everyday. When you start to master Twitter, Pinterest pops up. And when you finally see some real results from Facebook, they change their entire advertising platform. So is the speed of social media.
Today, we want to highlight the size and impact of social media across the world. Without further ado, here are the top 10 social media statistics you need to know for the rest of the year. The numbers are mind blowing and should show you the power of social a whole (click here to see how these have changed since last year):
1. 27% of time spent online is on a social network (Experian)
Experian reported in April that 16 minutes out of an hour online is spent on a social network or forum. Think about that with your parks & recreation or YMCA in mind – your customers and members are much more likely to interact with you on Facebook than your website. Does your marketing prioritize that?
2. Facebook has 1.11 billion monthly active users (Facebook)
Yes, you read that correctly. More than 1 in 7 people in the WORLD have Facebook and log in monthly. What percentage of your customers are Facebook users? Are they fans of your organization’s page?
3. 751 million monthly active users who used Facebook mobile products (Facebook)
Mobile and social are colliding and this statistic proves that. About 75% of Facebook’s active users access the social network on their phones. Do you have a mobile strategy?
4. Twitter has over 550 million users (Statistic Brain)
Each and every day, hundreds of thousands sign up for Twitter. That means the Twitter population has moved beyond celebrity chasers, press users, marketers, and athletes. How many followers does your agency have?
5. More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month (YouTube)
Not only do billions of people use YouTube, but Google also owns it. On top of that, they know that people prefer video to text these days. Do you have a YouTube channel for your recreation agency?
6. 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute (YouTube)
This one is hard to fathom.
7. YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network (YouTube via Nielson)
This statistic solidifies the shift in video from tradition media to online. The difference? Setting up a YouTube channel is free. Good luck finding a budget for some local commercials.
8. There are more than 2.1 million LinkedIn groups (LinkedIn)
LinkedIn is a great place to network and keep up with trends in your industry. Are you in any groups that can help you keep up with fresh topics in parks and recreation?
9. Pinterest has around 50 million users (Reuters)
The main takeaway here? Pinterest didn’t make our blog post about social media statistics from 2012.
10. 40 million photos are uploaded to Instagram per day (Instagram)
What’s changed since 2012? We didn’t mention this social network in the 2012 social stats post, Facebook bought Instagram, and people continue to upload pictures at ridiculous rates.
Join us on Facebook – let’s talk about making our communities healthier!