No matter what profession you are in, it’s important to keep up with trends, news, and ideas. If you’re a social media person, that’s easy with blogs like Mashable and Social Media Today. But it’s a bit harder for campus recreation professionals. So today, we’ll cover five resources that can help you stay on top of the industry (note: we’ll lean heavily on NIRSA). Here they are:
1. NIRSA Habitat – NIRSA’s internal social network provides discussions, blogs, events, resources, and directories for collegiate recreation professionals. This site is the #1 source for all things campus rec.
2. #RecChat (Twitter) – NIRSA takes home the #2 spot, as well, with their Twitter chat. A few days ago, NIRSA brought back #RecChat to open the discussion on Twitter. Click the link above to see what was discussed or view the transcript below:
3. Athletic Business – This magazine is known as “the leading resource for athletic, fitness, and recreation professionals.” With digital issues, forum discussions and a buyer’s guide, this resource keeps up with new ideas and answers questions for recreation professionals.
4. “Collegiate recreation” and “campus recreation” (Google Alerts) – Google Alerts are email updates that show the latest Google results for the keyword that you choose to track. You can filter results by type of media – news, blogs, videos, web, books, etc. Also, you can choose to receive the email daily, weekly, or as results are discovered. These two phrases will help you see what is going on in the industry.
5. Campus recreation tag (Blog) – Last but not least, we write about campus recreation marketing and technology on this blog. To organize these articles away from the others, we tag the phrase. Click above to search for more articles that fit for you.
What would you add to the list? Comment below.