This content was originally published on NRPA.org/blog.
ACTIVE Network’s Director of Advertising and Media Operations, Stephen Gendreau, joined NRPA’s OPEN Space Radio for a quick chat about digital marketing in the parks and recreation space.
Listen to the full episode:
You might be asking, what is digital marketing exactly? It’s any marketing that is done on a digital channel, such as social media, search engines, email, websites and more. It is often underutilized in the parks space, even though it can be an extremely powerful tool to build stronger communities.
All park and recreation agencies should be taking full advantage of digital marketing to promote their programs, memberships, classes, leagues, special events and other offerings. But that can be a daunting task with the ever-changing landscape of digital marketing and the fact that monitoring campaigns can be a full-time job.
Key takeaways from the episode:
- Utilizing data to better understand your audience and help deliver the right messages is essential.
- Using pixels, such as Google Analytics, on your website can help you understand who is visiting your site and who is interested in what offerings.
- Meeting your community where they are online, such as on Facebook, can help you engage with audiences that are hard to reach.
- Always be willing to adapt your marketing efforts–just because something worked in the past doesn’t mean it will work in the future.
- Use the data you collect to make your marketing decisions.
ACTIVE Network provides industry-leading digital marketing services to parks and recreation departments across the country. To learn more about how ACTIVE can help your organization with its digital marketing, click here.